[Paraview] Reconstruction of surface data from point cloud.

Feijoo, Gonzalo gonzalo.feijoo at siemens.com
Tue Nov 10 09:44:31 EST 2015

Dear, All,

I am sure the following had come up before, but I can't find all the information I need to get this done.

I have a point cloud with a scalar value attached to each point. I would like to reconstruct the surface from the point cloud as a triangular mesh and interpolate the scalar values on this mesh. I am using Paraview 4.3.1. I found a couple of messages from David DeMarle on exactly this theme back in January of 2015. The instruction on his email get me almost there, but not quite.

Here is what I did:

(1)    I read the .csv data into Paraview (data read as x,y,z,fval)

(2)    Attached a Table to Points filter and made sure that the X,Y,Z columns point to the appropriate values.

(3)    I can now visualize the points in 3D space and the points are colored according to fval.

(4)    Per David's email, I attached a programmable filter to the table, as output I chose "same as input" then wrote the following in the script box:

import vtk

pdi = self.GetPolyDataInput()

subf1 = vtk.vtkSurfaceReconstructionFilter()

subf1.SetInputData(pdi)

subf2 = vtk.vtkContourFilter()

subf2.SetInputConnection(subf1.GetOutputPort())

subf2.Update()

pdo =  self.GetPolyDataOutput()

pdo.ShallowCopy(subf2.GetOutput())

(5)    A beautiful triangular mesh from the point cloud is now available. But the fval values are not available. As data arrays I see ImageScalars with range [0,0] and Normals. So I guess fval is not being passed along.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards,

Gonzalo
Gonzalo R. Feijóo
Advanced projects and architecture
Specialized Engineering

Siemens Industry Sector
Siemens Product Lifecycle Management Software Inc.
200 Fifth Avenue
Waltham, MA  02451 United States
Tel.      :+1 (781) 907-9751
Fax      :+1 (781) 907-9880