[Paraview] SWKey: Definitions of 'Q-Criterion' and the calculator's mag(*) operator? Revised w/ Answers

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Fri May 29 14:08:28 EDT 2015

Hi Samuel,

The issue with the symmetric tensor magnitude calculation is that ParaView
doesn't know it's a symmetric tensor so it doesn't know that it needs to
sum the off-diagonal values twice. All that is know for these arrays are
how many components there are. A three-component array could be
representing either a 3D vector or a 3D anti-symmetrix, second order tensor
so it's the user's responsibility to compute the magnitude properly where
"shortened" representations of tensors are used.

Regards,
Andy