[Paraview] Fwd: Fwd: XDMF and Lookup Tables

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Thu May 28 22:11:04 EDT 2015

Hi Dmitry,

What is wrong with the lookup tables that ParaView makes for you with the
xdmf file? Regardless of the file format, once ParaView opens the data it
just sees sets of arrays really and the GUI lets you create and assign
lookup tables.

The .vtk file format's ability to store a lookup table near the data values
is an anachronism in my opinion. I would be surprised if ParaView respects
it actually. Instead ParaView's approach is to treat the data as data and
give you ways to save off an restore lookup tables and other visualization
parameters independently of the data (state files for example).

cheers

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer