[Paraview] [paraview] out of memory

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Fri May 22 10:18:34 EDT 2015

Dxy,

ParaView has certain overhead when a new source/filter is created. It
will need some more profiling, but creating 500+ readers would indeed
push things closer to that limit. ParaView/VTK typically uses
composite datasets/multiblock datasets for handling multiple parts of
the same dataset. Here's a "Script" for the Python programmable filter
that can open all the PLY files as a single multblock dataset.

# 0. Create the "Programmable Source" from the Sources menu.
# 1. Set the Output DataSet Type to "vtkMultiBlockDataSet".
#  2. Set as the "Script"
output = self.GetOutput()
cc = 0
for i in range(1, 538):
  filename = "/tmp/data/%03d.ply" % i
  reader = vtkPLYReader()
  reader.SetFileName(filename)
  reader.Update()
  output.SetBlock(cc, reader.GetOutputDataObject(0))
  del reader
  cc = cc + 1

Utkarsh