[Paraview] Installing ParaView 4.0.1 on Nodes For Rendering Frames -Slow Rendering w/ Python

Noah Taylor haonrolyat at gmail.com
Wed May 20 01:07:12 EDT 2015

Hello,

I am using ParaView 4.0.1 since I developed a python script for
interpretation on this version. I am able to run ParaView fine on my local
Ubuntu Desktop. I have setup an EC2 AWS instance both a GPU and a CPU
instance both running Ubuntu but they both are giving me the same problem
of very very slow rendering for each time step with the offscreen rendering
option turned on. I also run into this problem on a Unix supercomputer I am
trying to run my code on. On my local machine it takes less than a second
for each time step I am rendering to be outputted with the same settings
and I am not spinning anything  up like pvserver - on the node instances I
have, it is taking well around a minute or probably more for each frame.

I have read through a lot of similar issues and the documentation for X
connections but I am not having any luck. The default DISPLAY is set to the
localhost:10.0 and I have tried changing that to the localhost:0.0 but it
gives me the bad -X connection error. From there, I followed previous
mailing list instructions and tried spinning up the pvserver (I don't know
why since I am not trying to serve anything just render frames) but I get
an error with the shared libraries that they're too short. I am using the
default downloadable version of 4.0.1 since I want to try and keep this as
simple as possible but I don't know if these have the mpi turned on by
default. Has anybody ran into this Bad X Connection issue and found an easy
way around it besides messing with the OSMesa and recompiling? I'd really
appreciate any pointers :)

Thanks,
Noah