[Paraview] xdmf: orders of Origin DXDYDZ arrays in Origin_DXDYDZ

Liang Wang frank0734 at gmail.com
Tue May 19 10:08:20 EDT 2015

In the first place, I do not understand the difference between 3DRectMesh
and 3DCoRectMesh.

I picked the following coordinate for testing:

Nz,Ny,Nx = [80, 90, 100]
z0,y0,x0 = [-3.,-2.,-1.]
lz,ly,lx = [Nz*3,Ny*2,Nx]
dz,dy,dx = [lz/(Nz-1), ly/(Ny-1), lx/(Nx-1)]

I found I have to use the following lines in the xdmf to get the correct
grid to be shown in Paraview for 3DRectMesh and 3DCoRectMesh, respectively:

<!--For 3DRectMesh -->
      <Topology TopologyType="3DRectMesh" Dimensions=" 80 90 100"/>
      <Geometry GeometryType="Origin_DXDYDZ">
        <DataItem Name="Origin" DataType="Float" Dimensions="3"
Format="XML"> -1 -2 -3</DataItem>
        <DataItem Name="DxDyDz" DataType="Float" Dimensions="3"
Format="XML"> 1 2 3</DataItem>
      </Geometry>

<!--For 3DCoRectMesh -->
      <Topology TopologyType="3DCoRectMesh" Dimensions=" 80 90 100"/>
      <Geometry GeometryType="Origin_DXDYDZ">
        <DataItem Name="Origin" DataType="Float" Dimensions="3"
Format="XML"> -3 -2 -1</DataItem>
        <DataItem Name="DxDyDz" DataType="Float" Dimensions="3"
Format="XML"> 3 2 1</DataItem>
      </Geometry>

Note that, the Dimensions for Topology in both cases are in zyx order,
while the Origin/DxDyDz arrays have different orders in the two cases:

3DRectMesh requires Origin=[x0,y0,z0], DX=[dx,dy,dz], i.e., xyz order
3DCoRectMesh requires Origin=[z0,y0,x0], DX=[dz,dy,dx], i.e., zyx order.

Am I writing the correct xdmf codes? How would you specify these data?
Thanks.