[Paraview] Connecting to Catalyst-Enabled Simulation Running on Remote Cluster

Timo Oster timo.oster at ovgu.de
Mon May 18 08:48:07 EDT 2015

Hi all,

in an effort to enable live visualization of our simulation code, I have
written a Catalyst adaptor for it. The live visualization is working
great when the ParaView client runs on the same machine as the
simulation, even when the simulation runs in parallel using mpi.

Now I want to do live visualization of a simulation running on a remote
cluster. I am able to get this to work for the simulation running on the
login node of the cluster:

1. Tunnel an ssh connection of port 11111 to the cluster:
    ssh -L 11111:localhost:11111 server
2. In the shell that opens, start a paraview server (in the background
with '&')
3. Run the simulation with mpirun (simulation runs only on login node)
4. Start my local ParaView client and connect to localhost:11111 to
connect to the remote pvserver through the ssh tunnel
5. In the client, connect to Catalyst (port 22222)
6. A provider for the simulation is created and the live visualization works

Now I want to do the same for simulations started on the remote cluster
via the batch job system. In this scenario, the parallel processes of
the simulation will run on different (randomly chosen) nodes on the
cluster. How do I go about getting a connection from my local client to
the Catalyst instances running on those nodes?

I imagine I will need to set up ssh tunnels from the nodes to the login
node where the pvserver is running. I've tried adding a ssh tunnel line
to the job script that is executed when the batch job starts. I've tried
forwarding and reverse-forwarding port 22222 (ssh -L and ssh -R) to no
avail. The best I get is "ERROR: In
/.../ParaView_git/VTK/Common/System/vtkSocket.cxx, line 206
vtkServerSocket (0x18e0930): Socket error in call to bind. Address
already in use."

My knowledge in networking and ssh is limited, so any pointers to how I
would go about this are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Timo