[Paraview] Hardware suggestions for volume rendering

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Fri Mar 20 10:33:42 EDT 2015

Hey Kevin,

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 5:33 PM, Kevin Lau <kevin.d.lau at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Aashish,
>
> Thanks for your reply, I've now managed to build ParaView from the Master
> branch with VTK_RENDERING_BACKEND set to OpenGL2 and I have noticed a
> visible difference in the rendering.
>
> However comparison of the rendering performance in the interactive mode of
> builds with the standard OpenGL backend vs the OpenGL2 backend, both show
> similar frame rates.

Depending on the card and features you are using you may not see a huge
bump in performance. On some systems we have seen 300 times performance
improvements and on others there were close specially when you have VSync
on. Said that, can you provide more infromation on

1) Data size
2) OS
3) Graphics card
4) Features you have enabled?
5) You expectation and problem
6) What SHA of ParaView you are using?

Are there other build options that I'm missing? Should I be building the
> VTK libraries themselves?

Just make sure that you built from a clean state other than that you should
be good.

Thanks,