[Paraview] Use External VTK for ParaView Build

Kevin Dean kevin.dean at decisionsciencescorp.com
Thu Mar 19 13:43:19 EDT 2015

Hi, my name is Kevin,

I have recently tried building ParaView Source via external VTK. However, I
seem to be running into a snag. For some reason, after my own "fun" debug
process of external versus internal builds, it seems the problem comes from
this section of ParaViewTopModule.cmake:

foreach (source_dir IN LISTS PARAVIEW_MODULE_ROOTS)
  file(GLOB_RECURSE files RELATIVE
    "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}" "${source_dir}/module.cmake")
  foreach (module_cmake IN LISTS files)
    get_filename_component(base "${module_cmake}" PATH)
    message(STATUS "MODULE_CMAKE ----> ${module_cmake}")
    if (PARAVIEW_USING_EXTERNAL_VTK)
      vtk_add_module(
        "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/${base}"
        module.cmake
        #"${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${base}"
        ${_test_languages})
        #message(STATUS "module ----> ${module}")
        #message(STATUS "CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR ---->
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}")
    else()
      # Simply add to module-search paths for VTK and let VTK deal with it.
      vtk_add_to_module_search_path(
        "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/${base}"
        "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${base}")
      #message(STATUS "CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR ---->
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}")
    endif()
  endforeach()
endforeach()

if (NOT PARAVIEW_USING_EXTERNAL_VTK)
  # include VTK
  set (old_build_examples ${BUILD_EXAMPLES})
  message(STATUS "BUILD EXAMPLES ----> ${BUILD_EXAMPLES}")
  set (BUILD_EXAMPLES FALSE CACHE BOOL "" FORCE)
  add_subdirectory(VTK)
  set (BUILD_EXAMPLES ${old_build_examples} CACHE BOOL "" FORCE)
  include(${ParaView_BINARY_DIR}/VTK/VTKConfig.cmake)
  return()
endif()

it seems as if the CMakeLists.txt from the External VTK build is not being
called. I figured this, because When calling vtkGroups.cmake (which is the
i.e. I only have access to ParaView modules. Therefore, the
add_subdirectory for these modules that will be loaded later fails. Is
there another step that I should consider that I am not currently seeing?
Or am I way off base?  Thanks in advance!

Kevin E. Dean

--
This email and its contents are confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not disclose or use the information within this email