[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Trouble plotting variables

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Thu Jun 25 16:33:54 EDT 2015

Patrick,
I believe you are having multiple problems with your dataset.  Here is what i found:

·         Your dataset appears to be good.  It is a bunch of points (nodes) (cell type vertex).  It displays well.  Read in all of the data, hit apply.  Go to the last time step, then color by Displacement (point).  You see  you have displacement data in your bar.  You can actually see this displacement.  Go back to time step 0, then in the properties tab, change Displacement Magnitude to 1000000 (one million).  Go to last timestep.  (We had to do this because your displacement is tiny in relationship to the length of the bar itself.)  To see the length of the bar, Properties tab, Show Axes.

·         It is difficult, but you can plot a point over time.  The trick is you need to select one point.  Zoom is your friend here.  I rolled the beam around until I could see one point at the bottom.  Then, Select Points On (little icon upper left of the 3d window), and rubber band select a point.  Now, Filters/ Data Analysis/ Plot Selection Over Time.  You see gobs of plots.  Properties tab, slide down, Series Parameters. turn off the plots you don’t want.  I used only displacement magnitude.  You see your displacement.
Alan