[Paraview] Info about AMR datasets/structures

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Jun 11 15:52:11 EDT 2015

Hi John,

There is some info here:

http://www.kitware.com/source/home/post/32

It doesn't answer all the questions you asked but it is a decent reference.

vtkOverlappingAMR implements a somewhat strict Berger-Colella style AMR
hierarchy:

* Refinement ratio across levels is constant
* Each block at levels > 0 need to be covered 100% by one parent block of
previous level
* Some other restriction about what happens at the boundary that I forget

So it won't do what you want.

You can directly use vtkUniformGridAMR, which does not impose any
restrictions. Most filters should work for this class - there just wouldn't
be any specialized filters such as the dual-grid contour / clip ones for
the vtkOverlappingAMR.

Best,
-berk