[Paraview] Differences between OpenGL and OpenGL2 versions of ParaView

Adam Lyon lyon at fnal.gov
Thu Jul 30 16:19:18 EDT 2015

Hi,  I'm trying to use ParaView built with OpenGL2, hoping to see some
speed improvement when I interact with my visualization. Indeed for a
complicated geometry I see significant speed up (e.g. ~25 fps with OpenGL2
vs. 5 fps with regular ParaView). But I also see serious errors in the
display. I've attached two images of our "g-2 muon storage ring" (never
mind what it actually is, though it is very cool :-) ..

[image: Inline image 1]

The first, mostly blue image, is from regular ParaView (downloaded Mac
binary 4.3.1 64 bit)  and is what the ring is supposed to look like. There
is a color vector selected and I've unchecked "Map scalars" so that the
colors are "true". And indeed the RGB color values in the vector are what
is shown on the display.

[image: Inline image 2]
The next image, with a chunk on the left side missing, is from the OpenGL2
ParaView (Mac built from source 4.3.1-882-gbdceec7 64 bit) configured
identically as the other ParaView. So it should look identical to the
mostly blue picture. Along with the missing chunk, you see the colors look
very wrong. What's even stranger is that the missing chunk is really
missing - not invisible - the visualization is made of multiblock datasets,
and right clicking where a structure should be only brings up the link
camera option.

You can try this yourself -- see
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/900ocfc90v0w3r6/AACmqz8kVrGPUMnJbpxAFOzBa?dl=0 .
The "gm2ring.zip" file has gm2ring.vtm (with the corresponding gm2ring
directory) and gm2ring.pvsm to restore my configuration.

I'm looking forward to using the OpenGL2 version when it works better. I
hope this helps in working out its kinks (or hoping to find out I've built
or configured something incorrectly). Let me know how I can help!  Thanks!
-- Adam
*------*

*Adam L. Lyon*
*Scientist; Associate Division Head for Systems for Scientific Applications*

Scientific Computing Division & Muon g-2 Experiment
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
630 840 5522 office
www.fnal.gov
lyon at fnal.gov