[Paraview] How to assign separate parallel pvserver processes to separate independent datasets?

Krishna Pai krishnapai09 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 17:32:11 EDT 2015

Thanks for the recommendation, Andy. I've decided to use the
spatio-temporal parallelism plugin for a different application: I've found
that D3 re-partitions my data every time step, and I think this plugin
might be a better way to handle my spatio-temporal data. However, the
instructions on the wiki say to run it using pvbatch, which, as far as I
know, doesn't allow for interactive visualizations. Is there a way to
somehow run the python script it generates through the ParaView GUI instead
of by mpirunning pvbatch to allow for interactivity?

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> The closest thing I can think of is doing this in batch. Information on
> that is available at
> http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/Spatio-Temporal_Parallelism. It's probably
> doable in ParaView but would likely take significant amount of
> modification.
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 5:26 PM, Krishna Pai <krishnapai09 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I know that, normally, ParaView works with one large dataset and
>> partitions it based on the number of processes, then renders and merges the
>> results, which I can then view on my ParaView GUI locally. What I want to
>> do is take a bunch of independent datasets and make each parallel process
>> render them without partitioning them further. In other words, I want a
>> one-to-one correspondence between a parallel process and a dataset with the
>> ability to view them separately locally (which I can do by filtering by
>> Process ID). So far, I've tried opening a couple of datasets separately and
>> simultaneously (using ctrl to select them both), and combined them with
>> AppendDatasets to see if they would separate out in the way I want. That
>> didn't work. In both instances, ParaView partitioned each dataset and
>> rendered a part of them in each process. I would appreciate any tips.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Krishna Pai

>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView

          1   1
          1   /
          1 1                     1
          1 1      _    0   _   1 _       _      _
          1   \   1  1  1  (     1   7   1  7    _)
          1    !  1      1   )    1   1   1  1   {_}