[Paraview] Point clouds and computing PCA on voxels

Luca Morandini lmorandini at ieee.org
Tue Jul 21 03:04:22 EDT 2015

On 20/07/15 23:29, Eric Younkin - NOAA Federal wrote:
> Luca,
>
> Have you seen this
> <http://pointclouds.org/documentation/tutorials/normal_estimation.php>?  Are you
> just looking for a more detailed example?  I'm also looking to eventually do
> something similar, once I get it all set up in the end.

I am not searching for the normal to a surface, but the orientation of a cloud of
points (in other words, PCA) to tell a wall from a cable (a wall should have big
first and second eigenvalues and a small third one, while a cable should have a
big first eigenvalues, and small second and third ones).

Anyway, a fragment of Python calling a vtkPCAStatistics on point data would be
great (my very first steps in both ParaView and Python, so bear with me).

Cheers,

Luca Morandini
Data Architect - AURIN project
Melbourne eResearch Group
Department of Computing and Information Systems
University of Melbourne
Tel. +61 03 903 58 380
Skype: lmorandini