[Paraview] Paraview server using off-screen rendering

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu Jul 16 11:23:06 EDT 2015

Hi Ganesh,

WARNING: Target "vtkParallelMPI" requests linking to directory
> "/opt/cray/mpt/7.1.3/gni/mpich2-gnu/49/lib/".  Targets may link only
>  to libraries.  CMake is dropping the item.

It looks like you're building with GCC on a Cray.  Are you using gcc
directly or are you using the wrappers provides by the PrgEnv-gnu module?
The CMake FindMPI module should work correctly with the Cray wrappers.  In
that case, cc and CC will work as mpicc and mpiCC, automatically wrapping
the Cray MPI libraries into the compiler args, which the FindMPI module can
detect appropriately.

> If it's a problem with HDF5 library, I'm not sure where I need to point to
> the system installation.

If you load the cray-hdf5 module, that will set the HDF5_DIR environment
variable to the correct location.  Unfortunately, CMake uses the HDF5_ROOT
variable instead to look for it so you'll neet to set it accordingly.

If you're using the bash shell, the following sequence should prep your
environment accordingly:

# Start with a pristine environment
module purge
module load modules

# Load the compilers
module load PrgEnv-gnu

# Use the Cray wrappers for the compilers instead of calling gcc and g++
directly
export CC=$(which cc)
export CXX=$(which CC)
export FC=$(which ftn)

# Load the Cray-provided libraries
module load cray-hdf5
module load cray-mpich

# Used by the CMake FindHDF5.cmake module
export HDF5_ROOT=${HDF5_DIR}

Try configuring ParaView starting from that environment.

Out of curiosity, where is the machine located?  We maintain ParaView
installations at many different HPC sites on a range of Cray systems.

- Chuck Atkins