[Paraview] Computing displacement

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Jul 15 10:23:31 EDT 2015

Elaine,

I am assuming that you have time-series data and that your displacement
values are defined in a point data array named "Displacement".

I suggest the following:

- Load your time series data by selecting all the files in the series in
the file dialog (input[0])
- Load just the first time step (input[1])
- Control-click each of the sources in the Pipeline Browser so that they
are selected.
- Use the Python Calculator with an expression like

inputs[0].PointData['Normals'] - inputs[1].PointData['Normals']

You can set the output array name to "New_displacement".

To find the maximum displacement in all the timesteps, you can color your
data set by "New_displacement." In the Color Map Editor, click on the
"Rescale to data range over all timesteps" button. This will compute
New_displacement over all timesteps and the maximum value will be in the
maximum entry of the color map, which can be accessed by clicking on the
"Rescale to custom range" button" and viewing the value in the dialog box
that appears.

Hope that helps,
Cory

On Tue, Jul 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM, Elaine Tang <lingdeer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a set of data with displacement point data. I want to create a new
> variable that:
>
> New_displacement (t) = displacement (t) - displacement (t=0)
>
> Any idea on how to do that? I was trying to use calculator but I don't
> know how can I specific displacement for t=0.
>
> Also, is there any easy way in Paraview to find the maximum displacement
> throughout all time steps?
>
> Thank you!
> --
> Elaine Tang