[Paraview] How to get pvdataserver/pvrenderserver connected to my client using primarily the ParaView GUI?

Krishna Pai krishnapai09 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 15:26:28 EDT 2015

Hi all,

I've been trying to run pvdataserver and pvrenderserver on a computer on my
network through a reverse connection back to the client running on my local
machine by establishing an ssh tunnel through the GUI (command startup).

Server name="othermachine2" configuration="" resource="cdsrsrc://
127.0.0.1//127.0.0.1">
    <CommandStartup>
      <Command exec="ssh" delay="0">
        <Arguments>
          <Argument value="-R"/>
          <Argument value="11111:127.0.0.1:11111"/>
          <Argument value="-l"/>
          <Argument value="pai"/>
          <Argument value="othermachine"/>
          <Argument value="/home/pai/pvds.sh"/>
        </Arguments>
      </Command>
      <Command exec="ssh" delay="0">
        <Arguments>
           <Argument value="-R"/>
           <Argument value="22221:127.0.0.1:22221"/>
           <Argument value="-l"/>
           <Argument value="pai"/>
           <Argument value="othermachine"/>
           <Argument value="/home/pai/pvrs.sh"/>
        </Arguments>
      </Command>
    </CommandStartup>
  </Server>

pvdataserver ends up running and connecting to my client. But then the
second command block doesn't appear to run to set up the render server,
maybe because of whatever is making the terminal stop being interactive
after it prints the "client connected" message. I want to be able to create
a second tunnel to run pvrenderserver from a different port, but the above
doesn't work. Suggestions?

Thanks,
Krishna Pai