[Paraview] Probe location in a script

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Fri Jul 3 09:31:00 EDT 2015

Mc Fly,

ParaView always runs as a client-server application, even when just using
the GUI without connecting to a remote server (i.e., the "builtin" server).
The data resides on the server, while the commands you execute are on the
client. Hence, you need to move the data from the server to the client to
access it directly.

Fortunately, this is easy. Let's assume that your ProbeLocation filter is
named "Probelocation". Then all you need to do is run

polyData = servermanager.Fetch(Probelocation)

This brings the probe data, in the form of a vtkPolyData, over to the
client side. Now you can access the probed data through the PointData
attribute of the polyData object:

pointData = polyData.GetPointData()
rhoArray = pointData.GetArray('rho')
value = rhoArray.GetTuple(0)

I hope that helps. For more information on using Fetch, see [1].

Cheers,
Cory

[1] http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Python_Scripting#Source_Proxies

Cory Quammen