[Paraview] Probe location in a script

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Jul 2 09:55:04 EDT 2015

Hi McFly,

The Python Tracing facility in ParaView is perfect for this kind of task.
It records a trace of your actions in the ParaView GUI to a Python script
that you can modify a bit to process a bunch of files. To turn on tracing,
choose the Tools -> Start Trace menu item.

More info on tracing is available in the ParaView User Guide [1] under
section 1.6.2.

Best regards,
Cory

[1] http://www.paraview.org/paraview-guide/

On Thu, Jul 2, 2015 at 9:39 AM, <mctolille at netcourrier.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> I am a new Paraview user. I am trying to extract points from a bunch of
> vtu files. It is pretty easily done with "probe location". But since I have
> a lot of files, I would like to automatize the process (with a macro or a
> python script).
>
> Could someone maybe show me how it's done?
>
> My best guess is that I should have the following in a python script:
> Probelocation.ProbeType.Center = [10.0,20.0,30.0]
> assuming I want to probe at x=10, y=20, z=30. But then, I don't really
> know how to retrieve the variables values at that location.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Mc Fly

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer