[Paraview] ParaView builds part of VTK

Norman Goldstein normvcr at telus.net
Wed Jul 1 17:29:50 EDT 2015

I am running on fedora 20, x86-64, and have successfully built ParaView
4.3 and the VTK 6.2 subset that comes along for the ride.
(congratulations to the devel team that have prepared such a painless
build for this complex system!).  I am wondering what is the most
painless / recommended way for me to have access to all of VTK 6.2:

1.  Somehow tell the ParaView build system to build all of VTK (not just
the part it needs),
2.  Run a separate build on the VTK folder that ships with ParaView,
3.  Do an independent install of VTK 6.2 (this would mean having a
potential problem with two installs of VTK), or
4.  Tell ParaView to use an externally built VTK 6.2

For the #4, I know there is the cmake flag

-DUSE_EXTERNAL_VTK:BOOL=ON

but I am not clear what else needs to be done to make #4 work

Thanks