[Paraview] ParaView Seg Faults when running Animation in a Programmable Filter

Omid Mahabadi omid.mahabadi at geomechanica.com
Fri Jan 30 14:38:45 EST 2015

After a lot of debugging, it turns out the issue is with the SetCells
function of the vtk unstructured grid. Below are the bits of my
Programmable Filter code that are relevant to the seg fault:

    output  = self.GetOutputDataObject(0)

    cellArray   = vtk.vtkCellArray()
    cellTypes   = []

    # Create a polygon to display the selected points
    polygon = vtk.vtkPolygon()
    polygon.GetPoints().DeepCopy(pointArray)
    polygon.GetPointIds().SetNumberOfIds(len(coordinates))
    for i in range(len(coordinates)):
      polygon.GetPointIds().SetId(i, coordinates[i][0])

    # Add the polygon to a list of Cells
    cellArray.InsertNextCell(polygon)
    cellTypes.append(vtk.VTK_POLYGON)

    # Get the cell containing a given cell & add it to the cellArray
    selectedCell  = input.GetCell(cellID)
    cellArray.InsertNextCell(selectedCell)
    cellTypes.append(vtk.VTK_TETRA)

    # SetCells of the output with only the selected analyzed cells
    output.SetCells(cellTypes, cellArray)

The last line above seg faults on one of my computers but not on the
other one, both using Linux Mint 15 OS, and similar versions of
ParaView. Any thoughts?

Omid Mahabadi, Ph.D.
Geomechanica, Inc.
http://www.geomechanica.com/