[Paraview] PCL plugin status and and support of newer PCL versions

Stefan Otte stefan.otte at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 10:41:58 EST 2015

Wow, I'm really impressed. I just recreated a little vision pipeline
that took me a couple of days with PCL. With ParaView and the PCL
plugin it took just about an hour, given that knew where I wanted to
go and I only tested it on a limited dataset but without prior
ParaView experience.

I have a few questions/remarks:

- Only a small part of PCL is wrapped :( Let's change that!
- Sadly, the TangoParaView binary does not include the OpenNI source.
I would have loved to test my pipeline on the real problem.
- ROS (Robot Operating System) [1] is pretty popular in the robotics
community. It's basically a middle ware (and much more) to transfer
all kinds of data such as point clouds. I guess it should not be too
difficult to write a) a source that subscribes to the point cloud
data, and b) a plugin that publishes the results of the pipeline
(e.g., the bounding boxes or the resulting cloud). Is that the right
way to go?
- The dev guide of the PCL plugin only mentions "tbd." in the
"Contributing to the PCL Plugin" section. So how does it work? Where
is the code? :)
- Is it possible to "export" the pipeline and have it run as its own process?

Cheers
 Stefan

[1] http://ros.org/