[Paraview] Paraview input data format: CELL_DATA vs POINT_DATA

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Feb 19 21:38:25 EST 2015

Point data are samples of a continuous field. ParaView will interpolate the point data inside cells to estimate this continuous field.

Cell data are a field integrated over the volume of each cell. These are discrete values for each cell.

Many filters such as streamlines require a continuous field. Thus, they only work with point data. You can use the Cell Data To Point Data filter to convert a cell field to the point field these filters need.

The glyph filter is a bit different. The Cell Data To Point Data trick will work fine with that, too. A slightly more accurate representation would be to instead use the Cell Centers filter instead. That trick will only work for the Glyph filter, and you probably won't be able to tell the difference between the two methods.

-Ken

Sent from my iPad so blame autocorrect.