[Paraview] Help with LoadingState and python scripting

John Moore johnpmooreiv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:41:20 EST 2015

So, this is what I would like to do, but am new to ParaView and can't
figure out how to proceed. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I have unsteady data that that represents high-order finite elements. In
order to visualize the high order elements, I subdivide them Nref times,
and write the data in .pvtu format. In order to save disk space, I only
write the high order data at each time step. For Nref refinements, if the
elements are tets, this equates to a savings of 8^Nref in disk space.

In order to visualize the data, I would first like to load a
representative timestep (after re-naming the file to temp.pvtu), do all the
manipulation in the GUI, and then save the state in a .pvsm file once
satisfied.

I would then like to loop over all the time steps, first creating the
refined mesh and then post-processing said file for each timestep, and
finally deleting the refined mesh files. The post processing at each
timestep should use the same state as saved with the gui.

I would like to script this all in python, and do the mesh refinement and
post-processing on a remote server.

I've managed to implement most of this, but the view does not seem to
update after every call to pv.servermanager.LoadState().

Below is a pseudo-code:

    import paraview.simple;
    pv = paraview.simple;
    pv.Connect('Server');

    for timestep in range(timestep_start,timestep_end+1):
pv.servermanager.LoadState('dgsolution.pvsm');