[Paraview] Reader plugin for isogeometric analysis

Pablo Antolín pablo.antolin.sanchez at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 15:47:00 EST 2015

Hi,
I am currently developing a reader plugin for visualizing results coming
from an isogeometric analysis (IGA) library. Very roughly speaking, IGA is
similar to finite element analysis but using splines spaces for the basis
functions (i.e. high order functions with high inter-element continuity).

The idea is to read some data from a file, built the spline representation
of the information we want to visualize (with our own library), tessellate
it (with a user defined resolution) and to produce vtk grids.

I have a minimal version working well, but I would like to extend its
capabilities and there are some limiting issues I would like to fix:

   1. We are working with high order functions that could present point
   data with discontinuities. For that reason we are using unstructured grids
   with duplicated points, in order to be able to represent these
   discontinuities. Except for this fact, our grids would match perfectly
   structured grid topologies. Anything we can do for using structured grids
   being able to shown discontinuities in the point data?
   2. We would like to read a single input file and to output multiple
   grids, but the number of outputs only can be known at run-time (one the
   input file is parsed). I've reading for while the mailing list and it seems
   to be impossible. Any clue apart from multi-piece and multi-block solutions?
   3. There are certain options that the user can set (e.g. the resolution
   of the tessellation of the grid). These options must be set in the
   properties panel. We would like to set these options independently for each
   one of the grids to be created. So, the properties menu would change
   depending on the number of outputs known at run-time. Is possible to do
   such kind of thing? This also would be necessary in the case we use
   multi-piece/block outputs: the options of each piece/block should be setup
   separately.

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Pablo Antolin