[Paraview] Vorticity calc algorithm?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 11 15:05:50 EST 2015

The implementation of the compute derivatives filter has been around a while so the author probably hasn't seen your email. I'm not super familiar with the code, but I believe the vorticity is computed from the first order derivative of the vector field.

It is not actually using a central difference scheme to compute the gradients. Instead, it is treating the field as a piecewise linear field (or piecewise quadratic or piecewise cubic depending on the cell type) based on the volumes of the cells. The derivatives are then computed in the middle of the piecewise C1 continuous parts of the cells from the known function.

You can take a look at the source for the algorithm here:

http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Filters/General/vtkCellDerivatives.cxx;h=4debdf45eeb7a11e98062ab2d9efa65e938433b6;hb=ab4dc579c340167b6b3ae6cd82b3fd645642796a

Vorticity is computed between lines 169 and 216.

-Ken