[Paraview] Memory use with Xdmf files

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Feb 6 17:34:35 EST 2015

Looks like ParaView doesn't know that it can treat these guys as images and
give you the option of the Slice Representation. As such it has to do
surface extraction (convert to unstructured) in order to show you the
values.

To demonstrate rid of all but one grid in your spatial collection and load
that then look at memory inspector when you change to surface mode. Then
take the spatial collection out to get the slice representation as an
option.

Not sure how to fix it without coding a bit. What you need to do is make
sure it stays in structured format (as Felipe hinted at). I thought merge
blocks would work, but that makes unstructured grids too. Sample to image
data might work. You can probably use the python source hdf5 import path to
do it directly.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer