[Paraview] OpenGL issues trying to run in parallel from an iMac (OSX)

Hart, Cynthia Joyce - (cyndyb) cyndyb at email.arizona.edu
Wed Dec 23 12:00:58 EST 2015

Hi folks -

I’m new to Paraview, and trying to run it in parallel on our Linux based HPC cluster here at the University of Arizona.  This is something we can successfully do from Windows, but not, for some odd reason, from a Mac running OS X with Xquartz as the X server.   This is the error I get, after the Paraview GUI appears for an instant on my local screen, from the HPC cluster, then it dies:

ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 382
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x4412ee0): Could not find a decent visual

ERROR: In /home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 382
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x4412ee0): Could not find a decent visual

X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2
  Extension:    150 (Uknown extension)
  Minor opcode: 3 (Unknown request)
  Resource id:  0x22
ERROR: In /home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx, line 621
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x4412ee0): Cannot create GLX context.  Aborting.

Any ideas what’s going on, here, and how I might fix it?

Thanks,

Cynthia