[Paraview] Paraview v5.0.0-RC1 with OpenGL2 backend not running using OSMESA v10.5.5

Albina, Frank frank.albina at sauber-motorsport.com
Fri Dec 18 02:52:05 EST 2015

Dear Utkarsh!

Thank you very much for your swift reply and for sending the patch to the MESA libraries. I will apply it asap.

Also, thank you for liaising with the OpenSWR team  in order to check if they support or plan supporting OSMESA. It is of interest for us, since any gain in reducing rendering times during post-processing of our simulations has a substantial impact in the longer term on the number of simulations we can perform (i.e. less time spent in post-processing means that there are more resources left for running simulations).

Concerning the surfaceLIC, we are using it primarily on GPUs but it would have been great to have the possibility to switch to software rendering under ParaView 5.0.0. This was also motivated by the fact that the software has made a good step in reducing rendering times.
To  underline this, below is a summary of the rendering times in seconds for generating 60 pressure-contours images on the same compute cluster:

	Paraview 3.8.1		Paraview 4.3.1		Paraview 5.0.0-rc2
	Intel MPI 5.0.1.035	Intel MPI 5.0.1.035	Intel MPI 5.0.1.035
	MESA v10.5.5		MESA v10.5.5		llvm-MESA-11.0.7
Cores 	python v2.7.8		python v2.7.8		python v2.7.10
   1	     339.32		    502.49		      320.29
   2    	     177.62	    	    276.19	                      86.43
   4	      95.91		    142.94		      50.64
   8 	      57.17		     87.47		      33.71
  16	      34.91		     50.49		      26.12
  32 	      22.51		     32.44		      17.36

Basically, I can't wait to get my hands on the new ParaView release.

On my side I will continue today to perform additional tests which are part of the way we use ParaView on our compute cluster. I'll keep you posted on that .

Talk to you soon.

Frank.