[Paraview] Plot3D function files over time

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Wed Dec 9 19:33:50 EST 2015

Berk helped me loading Plot3D function files over numerous time steps, and I wanted to document it here.  Here is my e-mail I sent to my user.

ParaView can read and correctly handle Plot3D function files over numerous time steps. The trick is that you need to create a master file that tells the Plot3D function reader how to find the files it needs, and how to read them.

Using your example datasets, I created a master file named master.p3d.  (You can name it anything, but the extension must be p3d.)  Inside this file, I wrote the following.  Be sure to watch the comas at the end of the lines.

{

    "auto-detect-format" : true,

    "filenames" : [

        { "time" : 0, "xyz" : "solver.xyz", "function" : "solver-0070000.fun" },

        { "time" : 1, "xyz" : "solver.xyz", "function" : "solver-0070100.fun" },

        { "time" : 2, "xyz" : "solver.xyz", "function" : "solver-0070200.fun" }

    ]

}

Then, file/ open the master.p3d file.

Alan