[Paraview] Velocity field analysis - lambda2

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Mon Dec 7 17:11:30 EST 2015

David,

I haven't taken on lambda-2 yet, but I have been able to build a pipeline for Q-Criterion. It looks something like:

Data -> CellDataToPointData (if it isn't already point data) -> ComputeDerivatives (set the gradient option to vorticity and the tensor option to strain) -> CellDataToPointData -> Calculator (compute |S|^2) -> Calculator (compute |\Omega|^2) -> Calculator (compute Q-criterion)

Since lambda_2 = S_ik S_ij + \Omega_ik \Omega_kj, you can use the same procedure and use just the standard calculators if you want to expand the Einstein summation and plug them all.

Once I've done this, I save the set of 3 calculators as a custom filter. When I use pvpython, I load my custom filter in the server manager and then use the CD2PD and ComputeDerivatives filters as needed. The python calculator might be a better way to do it, but I haven't tried that yet.

Tim