[Paraview] netcdf-4 structured grid in paraview

Wiesenberger, Matthias Matthias.Wiesenberger at uibk.ac.at
Tue Dec 1 07:13:08 EST 2015

Dear all,

I've already sent this mail some weeks ago but I still haven't figured out a solution.
I use netcdf-4 to write fields (density, temperature,...) in 3 dimensions to disk. These fields are given on a curvilinear grid (e.g. toroidal coordinates X,Y,Z). I have vectors containing the cartesian coordinates dependent on the curvilinear coordinates x(X,Y,Z), y(X,Y,Z), z(X,Y,Z) where x,y,z are cartesian coordinates and X,Y,Z are the curvilinear coordinates.
The CF - conventions tell that these vectors should be written out as auxiliary coordinates and the variables that depend on them should have the auxiliary coordinates as an attribute.
Now I cannot make paraview plot the fields correctly. When I read in the file it always shows me a rectangular box instead of a torus.
I would like to know if there is a working example somewhere on the internet showing how to use netcdf and paraview to first write and then plot a field on a structured grid that is not a simple cartesian or spherical grid. (I spent some time searching for this topic on the net but I couldn't find anything useful) What do I have to do to make paraview recognize my auxiliary coordinates?
Or in general how does paraview recognize a structured grid in a netcdf-4 file?
Any hint would be very useful
Thanks

Matthias