[Paraview] vtkTransmitImageDataPiece question

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Mon Aug 10 15:39:46 EDT 2015

Hi Jeff,

I commented that line out to mainly remove the SetExtent() call. When you
set the  CAN_HANDLE_PIECE_REQUEST() key instead of the CAN_PRODUCE_SUB_EXTENT()
key, the filter is no longer passed an update extent local to the MPI rank
it is on. Rather it is passed a global update extent and is asked to
partition it as it sees fit. This means that you can no longer do

imageData.SetExtent(updateExtent)

Rather, you have to do:

self.GetOutput().ShallowCopy(xmit,GetOutput())

This copy will copy the extent from the xmit filter's output. The transmit
filter internally decides on a partition so you need to use that.

For reference to others that may be following this thread, I recommended to
Jeff that he uses the Nrrd reader, which uses MPI-IO to read raw files
(structured datasets). It is a more efficient approach.

Best,
-berk