[Paraview] running parallel pvservers

Jeff Becker jeffrey.c.becker at nasa.gov
Wed Aug 5 16:54:45 EDT 2015

Hi David and list. I'm still struggling with distributing my dataset
(bmag) across nodes. My Python Programmable source script below produces
correct output when run on a single node.

contr = vtk.vtkMultiProcessController.GetGlobalController()
nranks = contr.GetNumberOfProcesses()
rank = contr.GetLocalProcessId()

# read in bmag data and process

executive = self.GetExecutive()
outInfo = executive.GetOutputInformation(0)
updateExtent = [executive.UPDATE_EXTENT().Get(outInfo, i) for i in
xrange(6)]
imageData = self.GetOutput()
imageData.SetExtent(updateExtent)
myout = ns.numpy_to_vtk(bmag.ravel(),1,vtk.VTK_FLOAT)
myout.SetName("B field magnitude")
imageData.GetPointData().SetScalars(myout)

I then used the Filters/Parallel/Testing/Python/testTransmit.py test
code as a basis to continue the script to work on multiple nodes.
Following the last line above, I added:

da = vtk.vtkIntArray()
da.SetNumberOfTuples(6)
if rank == 0:
    ext = imageData.GetExtent()
    for i in range(6):
       da.SetValue(i,ext[i])
contr.Broadcast(da,0)

ext = []
for i in range(6):
    ext.append(da.GetValue(i))
ext = tuple(ext)

tp = vtk.vtkTrivialProducer()
tp.SetOutput(imageData)
tp.SetWholeExtent(ext)

xmit = vtk.vtkTransmitImageDataPiece()
xmit.SetInputConnection(tp.GetOutputPort())
xmit.UpdateInformation()
xmit.SetUpdateExtent(rank, nranks, 0)
xmit.Update()

However, when I run this on two nodes, it looks like both of them get
the same half of the data, rather than the whole dataset getting split
between the two. Can anyone see what might be wrong? Thanks.

-jeff