[Paraview] Keeping Only Clips

D H mrhyde at stanford.edu
Wed Sep 24 17:05:40 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have some VTK files (legacy VTK format, unstructured grid) that I'm rendering in Paraview.  For each file, I load the file into Paraview, then do a scalar clip of that data.  I render only the clip for each file.

The thing is that doing this for a large number of files uses up a lot of memory.  Each LegacyVTKReader uses about 30MB of RAM, and each clip uses only about 0.15MB of RAM.  If I just kept the Clips in memory and could discard each LegacyVTKReader as soon as I made the corresponding clip, there's clearly a lot of memory that could be saved.

This may be a silly question, but is there any way to "separate" a Clip from its parent data set?  Like, can I just make the Clip its own (3D) geometric object, and forget about the fact that it originally came from a VTK file?  Maybe this is impossible, but I thought I would ask in case there is some way to achieve what I'm thinking of and save a great deal of memory.

Thanks very much!

David