[Paraview] Open File Dialog Box Hang on OSX

Philip J. Rhodes rhodes at cs.olemiss.edu
Mon Sep 15 14:00:04 EDT 2014

Hello,
   I wanted to post a solution to a problem that I had with ParaView 4.1.0 on Mac OSX 10.9.4.   The problem was a hang (not a crash) when selecting the “Open” file menu item. The dialog box eventually appeared after a spinning beachball went away, but then complained that it could not find a certain AppleShare volume that was no longer in use on our local network. The dialog box also listed items that were taken from the Finder Sidebar, but were very out of date.

  This last point made me realize what was going on. Paraview was (perhaps indirectly) reading stale information out of ~/Library/Preferences/org.apple.sidebarlists.plist . Upon inspection, I found the stale info in this file.  It seems that back in 2011 the finder was updated, and no longer uses some of this information, but Paraview still does.

  I removed this file and also set my finder sidebar preferences to not display shared volumes, or anything that I didn’t strictly need. You may find a restart is necessary in order for the change to take effect, but I’ve fixed the problem on three machines.  I’m not sure how widespread this problem is, or if it’s even specifically a Paraview issue, but I thought I’d post the information in case it’s helpful to someone.

						-Phil

—
Phil Rhodes
Associate Professor