[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] fft of selection over time filter

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Mon Sep 15 11:29:26 EDT 2014

Alan,

I assume you are talking about the FFT of Selection Over Time filter. I'm not sure I understand all of your questions but I'll try to answer them.

  *   I got the filter to work on point data. Two caveats though. First, I think the data needs to be of a scalar floating point type. It doesn't work on vectors and it doesn't seem to work on ids. You also need to make a point selection (vs. a cell selection). I also noticed some funniness with how the selection got populated in the filter. For some reason when I create the filter it does not seem to populate the active selection correctly. I have to hit the "Copy Active Selection" button for it to get my selection properly.
  *   [Shrug] Most filter's don't automatically create magnitudes of vectors. I guess if auto convert feature is on maybe it should, but that could also be expensive since the filter takes the FFT of all fields, not just one selected field.
  *   You mean pick some range of time to apply the FFT over? That should have more to do with clipping the data values than picking some number of values to apply the FFT to. Is there a use case for that feature?
  *   I recall implementing the filter a while ago. It's a little flaky, but it seems to work on the can dataset.
  *   Open can.ex2. Select a cell at the bottom of the can. Add the FFT of Selection Over Time filter. Click "Copy Active Selection". Apply. You get a plot that is in kind of a U shape.

-Ken