[Paraview] Paraviewweb and Amazon EC2 instance: X display, GPU option, parallel visualization, launcher...

jlih jlih at masonlive.gmu.edu
Fri Sep 5 10:04:39 EDT 2014

Dear all,

I have installed Paraviewweb on an Amazon EC2 GPU instance based on the installation guide at:

http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/js-doc/index.html#!/guide/paraviewweb_on_aws_ec2. The webpages under "apps" can show up correctly. Now I am trying to install the parallel visualization. Here are a few questions I want to verify:

1. When I run pvpython on the GPU instance, I got the error message saying "bad X display..". I guess this occurs when the instance does not have a "real graphics" card and "off screen rendering" option should be used. My question is will this error affect the Paraviewweb application?

2.  I have installed Paraview (not Paraviewweb) on two other instances (without GPU) which run MPI without any issues. I would like to use those two instances as a part of the parallel visualization framework. Should I install the Paraviewweb on those two instances as well? Or I just need to change the machine configuration file to include the two instances?

3.  It seems GPU is needed for the instance when I configured the Paraviewweb on Amazon  EC2. There is a option for NVIDIA.. But  I read this document:

http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/js-doc/index.html#!/guide/os_mesa which says GPU may not be necessary. Is this applicable to Amazon EC2 instances?

4.  Launcher (

http://www.paraview.org/ParaView3/Doc/Nightly/www/js-doc/index.html#!/guide/parallel_app). I'm not sure if I should modify the  pw.session.public.fields if I am going to use the default Parallel example provided by Paraviewweb to start with.

Sorry about throwing out so many  questions but Paraviewweb is a very interesting application to explore.

Thanks,

Jing