[Paraview] Superbuild and OSX

Reuter, Michael A. reuterma at ornl.gov
Wed Sep 3 09:42:52 EDT 2014

Hi,

	I’m having trouble getting the git-master version of the Superbuild running on OSX (10.9) with clang (5.1). Setting the CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT variable causes the following error during CMake (2.8.12.2) generation for the ParaView subproject:

-- The C compiler identification is unknown
-- The CXX compiler identification is unknown
-- Check for working C compiler using: Ninja
-- Check for working C compiler using: Ninja -- broken
CMake Error at /Applications/CMake 2.8-12.app/Contents/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CMakeTestCCompiler.cmake:61 (message):
  The C compiler "/usr/bin/cc" is not able to compile a simple test program.

  It fails with the following output:

   Change Dir: /Users/2zr/build/ParaView-Superbuild/paraview/src/paraview-build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp

  Run Build Command:/usr/local/bin/ninja cmTryCompileExec4050157075

  [1/2] Building C object
  CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec4050157075.dir/testCCompiler.c.o

  FAILED: /usr/bin/cc -fPIC -arch x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.9
  -sysroot=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk
  -o CMakeFiles/cmTryCompileExec4050157075.dir/testCCompiler.c.o -c
  testCCompiler.c

  clang: error: unknown argument:
  '-sysroot=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.9.sdk'
  [-Wunused-command-line-argument-hard-error-in-future]

  clang: note: this will be a hard error (cannot be downgraded to a warning)
  in the future

Even if I empty the CMAKE_OSX_SYSROOT variable, the system still tries to pass an empty -sysroot flag to clang causing it to choke. I removed the sysroot flag from the top-level CMakeLists.txt, but then the ParaView CMake setup fails for a reason I can’t seem to understand. I’m attaching the log showing the CMake output. The only obvious thing I see is the Fortran compiler. Is that required?

Thanks,

Dr. Michael Reuter
Scientific Data Analysis Group
Neutron Data Analysis and Visualization Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Office: 1-865-241-7216
Fax: 1-865-574-6080
Email: reuterma at ornl.gov