[Paraview] Displaying wave elevation in time

Guillaume Jacquenot guillaume.jacquenot at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 13:41:48 EDT 2014

Dear Paraview users,

I would like to display a wave elevation field in Paraview, that is a
structured mesh with a scalar data (wave elevation). This mesh moves over
time.
I came up with a solution based on CSV point files and a delaunay 2d filter
in Paraview to represent wave elevation.

I ask myself some questions about the input file format, that could contain
only points, or a mesh.
Is there a dedicated format to do so?
Ideally, this format would
- be a single file containing all results over time
- not repeat data (My CSV files contain repeatdly the same coordinates many
many times)

I have looked at VTK format, but I can't figure out which one would answer
my needs.
Can HDf5 file format help? (If it is possible to import hdf5 package in
python interpreter)

My data could be represented like this

ti, y0, y1, y2, y3
x0,z00,z01,z02,z03