[Paraview] Catalyst question

Biddiscombe, John A. biddisco at cscs.ch
Thu Oct 16 10:43:22 EDT 2014

Andy, Dan

Thank you both for clarifying this. I might give the catalyst->server->client version a go, but it seems like it might be too much trouble ...
I expect I’ll just use the solution we developed here at CSCS a couple of years ago where we just connect  the simulation to the pvservers and then connect the client to them. That way I won’t need to copy the data between processes again (there is already a copy because the simulation is writing to a shared memory buffer and the pvservers would read from that - not the same as the H5FDdsm stuff we developed, but very similar, and I can simply piggy back our live viz on top of that).

We wanted to do a live demo of GPU rendering on 1024 or so nodes at SC14 so it may be that using something I’m already familiar with will save me time as were getting close to Nov ...

On that note : It ought to be trivial to whip up a catalyst “view” which captures the images from the internal renderwindow created by catalyst and have them displayed in the GUI so that the user can see the ‘live’ viz. Not sure how you’d pass the interactions back to handle mouse etc, but if the client can write to the camera objects via proxies then it should be possible ....  might try this myself if I have a moment spare.

thanks again

JB