[Paraview] ParaView 4.2.0 client/server execution error

Praveen Narayanan praveenn at nvidia.com
Sat Oct 11 22:30:30 EDT 2014

I haven't worked on client-server mode, but building Paraview with
OSMesa was a very challenging exercise, and I used it for my
workstation. Not sure if these notes would help here. Nevertheless, it
may be pertinent for installation notes.

1) Build OSMesa (obtained from the paraview wiki, and this is for
vanilla OsMesa).
   $ ./configure CXXFLAGS=-O2 -g -DDEFAULT_SOFTWARE_DEPTH_BITS=31
CFLAGS=-O2 -g -DDEFAULT_SOFTWARE_DEPTH_BITS=31 --disable-xvmc
--disable-glx --disable-dri --with-dri-drivers= --with-gallium-drivers=
--enable-texture-float --disable-shared-glapi --disable-egl
--with-egl-platforms= --enable-osmesa --enable-gallium-llvm=no
--prefix=/home/praveen/software/osmesa_vanilla_install

2) Use ccmake+superbuild to build paraview, configuring repeatedly. I
had managed several paraview builds with my system mpi (from ubuntu) but
somehow, on that particular day, cmake rejected all of them, and hence
the superbuild install asking it to download mpi and build.
3) For some reason, it would default to using 2 MPI tasks, which we
should change in the ncurses menu. Likewise, the max number of threads
is specified as 64. I am not sure what this would imply.
4) I think it is enough to turn on the OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA flag for it to
use OsMesa.
5) Next, we specify the path for the OsMesa installation (we can point
to any of the OsMesa builds, such as Gallium or Nouveau).

If I recall correctly, ccmake complains if we turn on the GUI. I wonder
if these failures have something to do with the flavor of OsMesa used.