[Paraview] Contour volume quantification (volume fractions of a scalar in an unstructured grid)

Jose Rey onlyrey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 02:33:52 EDT 2014

Good day,

I would like to calculate the volume contained by each contour surface
applied to an unstructured dataset. How do I do this?

Here is what I have:
1. An 3D unstructured grid resulting from a CFD code (OpenFOAM) with
velocities (Ux, Uy, Uz)
2. Applied the "Calculator" filter to calculate Result Array = Umagnitude
from the point data with the formula (U_X^2+U_Y^2+U_Z^2)^.5
    (I used point data for the calculator because I can only apply contour
to point data)
3. Applied the "Contour" filter, and generated 11 volumetric contours (from
0.0 to 0.3 m/s)

Here is where I am stuck (and what I intend):
*. Trying to calculate the volume inside each contour surface

The reason I want to calculate this:
* To calculate a distribution of velocity magnitudes (where the X axis is
velocity magnitude ranges /bins, and Y axis is total volume occupied by the
cells in each velocity magnitude range -- not cell count as is the case of
histograms)

My Paraview version:
* 4.2 running on Win64
(I also have aversion of paraview 4.1 modified to work with OpenFOAM, and
installed in a Ubuntu64x-12.04 virtual box)

Thank you very much in advance,

Jose
--
Jose I. Rey