[Paraview] Python script running out of memory

Ethan Hereth e.a.hereth at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 15:57:25 EDT 2014

Hey folks,

I have created the attached script by using the Trace feature in Paraview
(version 4.2.0-RC1-128-gc89b0ad) and then tweaked it to run on multiple
.pvtu files. I don't doubt that there is a better way to do this but this
is what I came up with.

I run the script using pvbatch. The problem is that it'll run for a while
and then run out of memory. I also get the following errors on every pass
through the script after the first pass.

ERROR: In
/home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerManager/Rendering/vtkSMViewLayoutProxy.cxx,
line 481
vtkSMViewLayoutProxy (0x385f370): Cell identified by location '0' is
already split. Cannot split the cell again.

ERROR: In
/home/kitware/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerManager/Rendering/vtkSMViewLayoutProxy.cxx,
line 551
vtkSMViewLayoutProxy (0x385f370): Cell is not empty.

It seems to me that Paraview is trying to reuse the slice created in the
last pass and perhaps I need to do something to reset the data or free the
data or something like that. I tried a few things like

Delete(fileReader)
del fileReader
Delete(slice1)
del slice1

etc. at the end of each pass but nothing I tried eliminated the errors.
Incidentally, these errors seemed to be irrelevant as the images exported
just fine until the pvbatch crashed after ' throwing an instance of
'std::bad_alloc' hat():  std::bad_alloc'

Does anybody mind taking a look at this and telling me what I'm doing
wrong, or at least pointing me to documentation/examples that might help me
to figure this out. I did read through the seemingly relevant Google search
results dealing with scripting with Paraview with no luck.

I appreciate your time,

--
*Ethan Alan Hereth*