[Paraview] Paraview Build Option - VTK_SMP_IMPLEMENTATION_TYPE; parallelization questions

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Wed Oct 8 21:34:12 EDT 2014

Hi Praveen,

The paper that you linked is the original implementation and is still quite
relevant.

See: http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/images/3/3b/VTK_SMP_Guide.pdf
for more information on the work as it stands now that it has been brought
into VTK proper (as of release 6.1)

As that doc says, VTK is still largely _not_ thread safe. Portions of it
always have been. For example anything used within the threaded image
filters was before vtkSMP, and anything used within Filters/SMP is now.

Turn on the Filters/SMP module to try it and take a look at the Cxx
regression tests in the module itself for starters.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive