[Paraview] Is the VIEW-UP vector updated automatically?

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Mon Oct 6 20:49:35 EDT 2014

The meaning of azimuth, elevation etc. is indeed same with VTK and
ParaVIew. ParaView uses the same code for Camera as in VTK, so there's
no different there. Here's some explanation on the inner workings of
the camera:

+ The camera->ViewUp is used by vtkCamera as a "hint" for the up
direction. Thus, it is need not always be orthogonal to the view
direction (defined by camera position and camera focal point). Unless
the ViewUp is parallel to the view -direction, the vtkCamera will
automatically compute the true "viewup" internally using
vtkCamera::ViewUp as a hint.
+ You can use cam.OrthogonalizeViewUp() to force the vtkCamera to
update the VIewUp based on the internally used ViewUp.

e.g.

>>> cam = GetActiveCamera()
>>> cam.SetPosition(0, 3, 3)
>>> Render()
>>> cam.GetViewUp()
(0.0, 1.0, 0.0)
>>> cam.OrthogonalizeViewUp()
>>> cam.GetViewUp()
(0.0, 0.7071067811865476, -0.7071067811865476)

I am not sure I observe the same problem as you mention with Azimuth/Roll.

Utkarsh