[Paraview] PV 4.2.0 custom site settings

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Thu Oct 2 15:20:29 EDT 2014

Alan,

Documentation for this is in the new ParaView Users Guide. Relevant
text adapted from the LaTeX:

====

Configuring site-wide default settings

In addition to individual custom default settings, ParaView offers a
way to specify site-wide custom default settings for a ParaView
installation. These site-wide custom defaults must be defined in a
JSON file with the same structure as the user settings file. In fact,
one way to create a site settings file is to set the custom defaults
desired in paraview, close the program, then copy the
user settings file to the site settings file. The site settings file
must be named ParaView-SiteSettings.json.

The ParaView executables will search for the site settings file in
several locations. If you installed ParaView in the directory
INSTALL, then the ParaView executables will search for the
site settings file in these directories in the specified order:

- INSTALL/share/paraview-X.Y
- INSTALL/lib
- INSTALL
- INSTALL/..

where X is ParaView's major version number and Y is
the minor version number. ParaView executables will search these
directories in the given order, reading in the first
ParaView-SiteSettings.json file it finds. The conventional
location for this kind of configuration file is in the 'share'
directory (the first directory searched), so we recommend placing the
site settings file there.

Custom defaults in the user settings file take precedence over custom
defaults in the site settings. If the same default is specified in
both the ParaView-SiteSettings.json file and
ParaView-UserSettings.json file in a user's directory, the
default specified in the ParaView-UserSettings.json file will
be used. This is true for both object property settings and
application-settings set through the Edit -> Settings menu.

To aid in debugging problems with the site settings file location, you
can define an evironment variable named PV_SETTINGS_DEBUG
to something other than an empty string. This will turn on verbose
output showing where the ParaView executables are looking for the site
settings file.

====

Cory