[Paraview] Extents problem

Greg Abram gda at tacc.utexas.edu
Sat Nov 29 19:09:43 EST 2014

Hey y'all -

I'm trying to write a parallel reader for a user's structured grid and am having a problem with extents.    I've included a plugin that demonstrates the problem - a little "importer" that hardwires a whole extent of 0,10 in each axis.  In RequestInformation it calls:

  outInfo->Set(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::WHOLE_EXTENT(),this->Internals->extent,6);
  outInfo->Set(CAN_PRODUCE_SUB_EXTENT(), 1);

and in RequestData it calls

  outInfo->Get(vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::UPDATE_EXTENT(),subext);
  vtkStructuredGrid *sgrid = vtkStructuredGrid::SafeDownCast(output);
  sgrid->SetExtent(subext);

to get the update extent from the pipeline and set it onto the structured grid..  It then stuffs points and data to create a grid from -1 to 1 in each axis.

When I run it on 2 processes, the result *looks* right, it fills the -1 to 1 space along each axis, there are the right number of cells and points, ProcessIdScalars shows two equal size partitions, but the extent is clearly not right - the wireframe and surface surface boundaries are incomplete and the extent shown in the Information tab is correct for only one of the two parts.

So, what am I doing wrong?

If anyone is interested, I uploaded the plugin code to:      https://utexas.box.com/s/d6ef5kx4oxm1d205hbbo

Gregory D. Abram, Ph.D.
Research Engineering/Scientist Associate
Texas Advanced Computing Center
The University of Texas at Austin
(512) 471-8196
gda at tacc.utexas.edu<mailto:gda at tacc.utexas.edu>