[Paraview] Which reader run in parallel? All of them?

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 25 14:16:00 EST 2014

Like VisIt, there exist readers in ParaView that do not perform well or at all when reading data in parallel. There are practical reasons for allowing non-parallel readers to exist within ParaView (and VisIt). The underling architecture is modular and designed to make it straightforward to add components like readers. Thus, the reader implementation often happens outside of ParaView development and is not necessarily designed for parallel usage. It is also the case that many file formats are not very amenable for parallel reading, but there are still good use cases for supporting them in some way in ParaView.

As far as I know, there is no list of what readers do or do not read in parallel. I suppose it would be possible to iterate over all readers and see which ones report pieces or extents, but that would not give reliable information about parallel behavior or the limitations. It would be hard to quantify the parallel behavior of the readers in any meaningful way.

A list of parallel readers may not be the right way to ask the question. A better question to ask is if I have data in a particular format can I read that in parallel? Yes, this is most reliably answered by pouring through the source code, but an email to this list will probably provide a satisfactory answer if its a common format. The converse question is for data of a given type, what is the best file format to use for parallel performance? You're bound to get a more complete answer by asking humans than consulting a list.

-Evil ParaView Overlord #42