[Paraview] Interfacing with FE simulation using Catalyst

Alexandre Ancel alexandre.ancel at cemosis.fr
Mon Nov 24 10:56:40 EST 2014

Hello,

I tested writing data from the python script, and the data is apparently
written correctly
 when opening the files with Paraview. The issue is only present I try to
extract the data in Paraview.
I'll continue to investigate both in my code and Paraview. If you have
other pieces of advice as to where I could be looking, I would be
interested.

I will also test if I can reproduce the issue with one of the example.

Regards,
Alexandre Ancel

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM, Andy Bauer <andy.bauer at kitware.com> wrote:

> Hi Alexandre,
>
> If you could reproduce the errors that you're getting in one of the
> examples, we could try to track that down. I tried using your script and
> didn't have any issues with the CxxFullExample in the Catalyst example code
> and PV 4.2.
>

> Regards,
> Andy
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM, Dan Lipsa <dan.lipsa at kitware.com> wrote:
>

>>> When I click on the icon located near the producer to visualize the
>>> data, I get an Extract component added to the pipeline. Trying to visualize
>>> this, then throws me the following errors:
>>>
>>> ---
>>> ERROR: In
>>> /home/ancel/Downloads/ParaView-v4.2.0-source/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
>>> line 810
>>> vtkPVPostFilterExecutive (0x3efc890): Input for connection index 0 on
>>> input port index 0 for algorithm vtkPVPostFilter(0x3efbe70) is of type
>>> vtkDataObject, but a vtkPolyData is required.
>>>

>>> ERROR: In
>>> /home/ancel/Downloads/ParaView-v4.2.0-source/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx,
>>> line 810
>>> vtkPVPostFilterExecutive (0x3efc890): Input for connection index 0 on
>>> input port index 0 for algorithm vtkPVPostFilter(0x3efbe70) is of type
>>> vtkDataObject, but a vtkPolyData is required.
>>>

>>> ERROR: In
>>> /home/ancel/Downloads/ParaView-v4.2.0-source/ParaViewCore/ServerManager/Rendering/vtkSMParaViewPipelineControllerWithRendering.cxx,
>>> line 504
>>> vtkSMParaViewPipelineControllerWithRendering (0x38bbc00): Data cannot be
>>> shown in the defaulted render view!!
>>> ---
>>>

>> I have not run an example for an unstructured grid. It should work
>> similarly though.
>> I recently wrote a Catalyst adapter for an unstructured grid. I will run
>> Catalyst Live with that to see how that works.
>>
>> You could try however to save images or entire data from the pipeline
>> script as it is done in the Catalyst examples.
>>

>>> A few more questions come in my mind now:
>>> - If I understand correctly and if the user wants to pause the
>>> simulation, for example when he has only 1 timestep, he would have to do
>>> the following steps:
>>> * Connect with catalyst in Paraview
>>> * Set a breakpoint for time step 0
>>> * launch the simulation
>>> Is that alright ?
>>> Would it be possible to do this with the play/next frame paraview
>>> buttons ?
>>>

>> The communication between catalyst and the simulation happens only at
>> time steps. Because of that, Catalyst could only stop the simulation at
>> time step 2.
>>

>> - Looking at the last lines of the blog post concerning pvserver. Is
>>> pvserver catalyst enabled by default ?
>>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> Does it mean that I can build the following pipeline ?
> [...]

Alexandre Ancel
Docteur, Ingénieur de recherche / Phd, Research Engineer
Cemosis <http://www.cemosis.fr> - alexandre.ancel at cemosis.fr
Tel: +33 (0)3 68 8*5 02 06*
IRMA - 7, rue René Descartes
67 000 Strasbourg, France